Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To My Daughters

Dear Daughters,


This is an important time for you. The course of the next several years will be full of changes: physically, mentally and socially. You may find yourself in difficult positions, not knowing which way to turn, but I want you to know that you will never be alone, I will always be here for you.

I want you to understand that you are going to make mistakes, but it's ok. It's normal and when you do, I want you to forgive yourself. The errors you make will help you learn and from that you will gain wisdom.

Life is too short to dwell on negativity. One can spend a lifetime berating themselves over the past, but the past can do nothing for you. It's unchangeable, that's why it's called 'history'. If you focus on your future then your present moments will be rich and worthy. Acknowledge what has been, but place your determination in what is to come.

Never forget to love yourself enough to know that you already have everything you need to be happy in life. Don't buy into the fairytale nonsense of "needing" someone else to bring meaning and purpose to your existence. You need no one but yourself, people will come and go. The ones who truly matter will stand the test of time and those who don't will fade into the background.

Let them go, and remember the good times.

Be wary of complacency when you know you can do better and don't be afraid to analyze the path you're on, but do so gently. If you don't evolve you will never be satisfied, but enjoy yourself every step of the way. You are a unique entity capable of amazing feats, no one can ever take that away from you.

Have fun whenever you can and enjoy the small things in life. Remember them. They will remain in your memories a million times more than anything that money can buy. I couldn't tell you what I got for Christmas when I was ten years old, but I'll never forget the afternoon Uncle Taylor and I spent on our bikes trying to find the end of a rainbow after a summer storm. Make as many precious moments in your life as you can, those memories will bring you peace and comfort when you need it most.

I want you to know that I am very proud of you. You are so beautiful, inside and out. I look at you everyday, growing and learning from the worlds around you, and I know that you are going to be incredible women. You have the ability to do whatever you wish in this life and I have no doubt that you will make the right choices to reach your goals and fulfill your potential.


With Love,

Mom